Friday, March 28, 2008

Not so raw for now...

Thank you for your comments of support, encouragement & suggestions last week everyone. After much prayer & way too much thought, I started eating cooked foods last Friday afternoon. And I've been feeling much better. Not 100% better, of course, but I've been keeping food down since I started eating the cooked foods. I've had mostly vegetarian bean burritos & the baked potatoes I was craving. There hasn't been one thing that I've eaten that hasn't agreed with me, or has made me sicker. I was so worried about that! I still get nauseas, but there's something that sounds good, I can eat, and it stays down. I still can't even think about raw foods or green smoothies yet. I know it will come though, I just can't push it or it will take longer to get back to the raw foods.

I asked Greg to pray, and to ask to be released from the raw food conviction as well. At first, I thought that it was wonderful that he was willing to stay raw. But then it felt like a division, a lack of unity in the family. My kids would have been even more confused. He prayed about it for a bit, because like me, he doesn't want to be disobedient to God. Eventually he felt a peace about it & joined me in a bean & rice burrito. He hasn't gotten sick either. He's still eating raw most of the day while at work.

There are lines we will not cross, like overly processed foods, junk foods, or fast foods. We have no desire at all to eat those things. If we did, we still wouldn't eat them, it would be a terrible example to our girls. No ketchup on anything, no soda, no sugar, fried foods, no desserts, I'm sure there are more. I've done my best to explain to our girls why there have been changes recently. And we take opportunities when ordering at restaurants to talk about why we chose a sweet potato instead of fries as a side, or why we drink water as opposed to soda. I think that helps them 'get it'. I don't want them to think that just because we've introduced some cooked foods into our daily routines that all the healthy stuff flies out the window. Because when we used to eat cooked foods, that meant major junk foods. This is new territory!! They love the new variety of foods. I've never seen a 6 & 3 year old so excited to have a baked potato! My goodness.

I'm one of those women that absolutely love being pregnant, even through the morning sickness. The worry & extreme emotional distress of last week was robbing me of my joy! I wanted so badly to do the right thing. And I believe I did. I also believe that I'll be raw again soon, I am not who I used to be. Cooked food doesn't control me anymore & I needed to trust myself & God enough to see that. Thank you to those that pointed that out to me. Yall's support means more than I can say! I love you all, thank you so much!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God Resa!! I am so glad that you both have come to have peace about this.

That is one of the main reasons that I went to a high raw diet instead of staying 100%. It was starting to divide us all. There has been more peace in the house since I made that decision and I feel that God has greatly blessed me in my decision.

I am so glad that the cooked food is helping you.

I, too, love to be pregnant even through the morning sickness and all the discomforts that come along with it.

I am getting so excited to see and hold this little one!!

Anonymous said...

Resa,
I support you 100% and I think the way you are going about it is AWESOME. It will be a very good example STILL to your children and you are giving them such a head start compared to way the rest of the world eats.. definitely.
Be blessed, be at peace, be healthy, and grow that babe. :)
love ya!
Angel

Anonymous said...

Resa,

So glad you are feeling better! I knew you wouldn't cave in to junk food...you are a CHANGED woman! God bless you on your continued journey of health and wellness and God bless that sweet little one! Christine

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you feel better eating. And you are still making healthy choices! PLEASE continue to post and share your journey, even if it isn't all raw anymore!

Anonymous said...

I am a raw vegan and still consider myself a raw vegan even though for my 2 pregnancies I wasn't raw. I put the needs of my babies first. If I felt good eating raw then there was no issue. If I wanted to eat the tofu burger or the quesadilla, I ate it. I'm back to raw and feeling so much better again. I chose not to beat myself up with it. This is about your baby. Do what's best for him/her.

Anonymous said...

I would suggest you to try some raw natural milk products, it is from my own experience. Some years ago I started to eat raw vegan food, but always after some months my cravings for cooked food became unbearable and I fell back to cooked. After some time I started raw again and it all was happening again. Then 1,5 years ago I started to drink kefir from natural raw milk, which I made myself with kefir grains, I did it to improve the immune system. And it worked perfectly! Now I am raw already for more than a year and there are no more any cravings for cooked food! We drink a lot of kefir, we are also making raw butter and cheese at home. Since we now live in countryside we can get natural milk from neighbours, and I know that it really is a natural milk. I was swimming in little river near my house all winter (I am from Latvia, Baltic states) what I could not even imagine to do before. Earlier I was so sure that the milk is not good for people, but now... What I know, it IS good for me. Of course, it does not mean that it is good for everyone. But I choose better to eat milk products that to eat cooked vegan food!!!

I wish you good luck to continue your raw journey!

Liene

Anonymous said...

Hey, how are things going now?